Victoria C of E Infant and Nursery School

Love School, Love Learning, Love God

01442 865781

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my child is unwell and unable to come to school?

Please telephone or email the school by 9am.  A letter or email is also required once your child returns to school.

My child has been sick or had diarrhoea. Can he/she come to school?

Your child can only return to school 48 hours after he/she was last sick.

My child has Chicken Pox. When can he/she return to school?

Please inform the school office immediately if your child has chicken pox. Every scab must have crusted over before your child can return to school.

My child has Headlice. When can he/she return to school?

If we notice live headlice on a child in school we will inform the parent/carer in order to treat the problem at home.  You will need to treat your child's hair and ensure that there are no live headlice in his/her hair before your child can return to school. There may be some eggs remaining but this does not prevent your child from being in school.

My child has Conjunctivitis. Can he/she come to school?

Yes, but if the problem persists you may wish to take your child to your GP in case medication is needed to clear it up.

Can the school administer medicine to the my child?

No the school cannot give medicine to your child.

What if my child has an appointment?

Please let the office know as soon as possible, particularly if your child will require a lunch before/after their appointment.

How can I let you know my child is going home with somebody else at the end of school?

Please write in your child's home school contact book or ring the office.

Can I take my child out of school during term time?

You will need to complete an Leave of Absence Form which is available from the school office. For children aged 5 years and over absence will only be authorised in exceptional circumstances.

What uniform does my child need for school?

Please click the link to visit the Uniform web page.

Does my child need a water bottle at school?

All children need a plastic water bottle in school every day.  Waterbottles can be purchased from the school office.

How can I make payments using WisePay? 

For further information please read WisePay Information or go to WisePay.

What is the cost of a school dinner?

The Government is now funding the provision for all primary aged children, up to and including Year 2, to have a school meal daily. To find out more go to:

At Victoria C of E Infant and Nursery School we are delighted to announce the introduction of the Hertfordshire Catering Pupil Choice Menu. This is a system which is gradually being implemented in schools throughout Hertfordshire as it gives parents the reassurance that their child will receive a meal of their choice.

Children may select from one of the following options:

Option A - School meal every day (including the packed lunch/cold option) - Monday to Friday
Option B - Home Packed Lunch every day - Monday to Friday
Option C - Home Packed Lunch - Monday to Thursday and School meal on a Friday

Pupil Choice Menu Summer/Autumn 2017

Registering your child for Free School Meals 2017

What if my child needs a special diet menu? 

HCL who provide the school meals are changing the way that they process applications for children with food allergies or intolerances, as well as for those who require an amended menu due to religious or cultural reasons.

If your child is already receiving a special menu then you will need to re-register your child’s details on the HCL website -  To ensure that food groups are not withdrawn from diets without medical supervision and to also ensure that HCL has a full understanding of the medical implications, applications for pupils requiring a special menu for medical reasons can only be made with supporting evidence from a medical professional.  If you do not hold medical evidence there is a form on the website that can be downloaded and taken to a GP for them to stamp and sign.

When can my child change his/her school dinner pattern?

Please complete a School Lunch Option form if your child would like to change their lunch option.

Can my child have milk?

Milk is available for all Infant children (up to and including Year 2). Please complete the Milk Order Form Autumn Term 2017 and return to the school office.

My child is in Nursery. Will he/she automatically come to Victoria C of E Infant and Nursery School for Reception?

No. All parents/carers have to apply separately for Reception places which are allocated by the Hertfordshire County Council. Please look out for the admissions booklet which is sent to home addresses by the County Council. You will also need to complete one of our application forms found on the Admissions page.

When will my child start school?

From the Autumn Term 2016 all Nursery children will start in September.  All Reception children will also start school in September prior to their 5th birthday.

At what age is school attendance compulsory?

Children are required to be in school full-time from the age of 5. Attendance at Nursery is optional.

When do I apply for a junior school place?

During the Autumn Term when your child is in Year 2 you will receive a booklet from the County Council advising you of the admissions process.  Click here to go to the Thomas Coram website for more information.

How can I apply for Wraparound care or  After School Club?

Please visit the Extended Schools page.

What do I do if I have any concerns regarding my child?

Please approach your child's class teacher to discuss any concerns you may have. Your child's teacher may need to find out further information regarding your concerns and would therefore not always be able to meet with you immediately but will arrange a suitable time to see you once all the information is to hand.  If you feel that matters remain unresolved you may wish to make an appointment to see the Headteacher. 

How do I make a complaint?

If you have a complaint please read the Complaints Procedure and complete a Complaints Form. Leaflets are also available from letters stand by the office.

Why am I not receiving email/text messages from school?

If you think your details may have changed and wish to check what details we have on file or you are not receiving messages please call the school office.

How can I volunteer to help in school?

Please approach you class teacher, the school office or via email.

How can I join the VSA (Victoria School Association)?

Please contact the school office.